Monday, February 6, 2012

TASK 2(a): DIALOGUE/ROLE-PLAY (LANGUAGE FORM AND FUNCTION)


This is the first task of our project for Task 2 in the coursework for ELE3103 English For Language Teachers. So, my group (Tiong, Mohd Shahrol, Khairul and I) decided to choose a topic on beauty pageant. We discussed the function of each sentences so that we know the reason of each sentences and how it is effect the conversation.


We need to know and understand about language form and functions. This really helps us in understand on what the person trying to show us. Through form and function, we will able to identify the reason on why the speakers wanted to told us. If there is no form and function of language nowadays, I think that, what we are talking about is no sense at all.


The following is our script.

Prepared by :

Kelvin Andreas Anak Apaw

Khairul Azlan Bin Mohd Faizul

Mohd Shahrol Bin Matrimau

Tiong Kung Ling

Class : PPRMT5

Two young men are having their conversation in XXX Café. Both of them are talking about Miss Universe 2011 pageant. They are arguing about the winner of the pageant.

Shah : (Approaching the café) Hey Kel, it has been a while. How are you?

Kel : Wow! Look who is here? Glad you are still alive…

Kay : Any drinks, gentlemen? [To ask]

Kel : I would like a mango juice.

Shah : Hurm… there are too many choices. I do not know which one to choose.

Kel : Want me to choose for you?

Shah : Sure.

Kel : Just give him a glass of sky juice. [To suggest]

Kay : One mango juice and one sky juice, table 2567!

Tiong : One mango juice and one sky juice, coming right up!

Shah : So have you watched Miss Universe 2011?

Kel : Oh yes! I think Miss Malaysia, Deborah Henry should get the title for Miss Universe 2011. Her body is perfect! You know what Shah? Through my 22 years existence in this world, the judges were major major super major major biased. [To give opinion]

Shah : Are you kidding me? Miss Angola, Leila Lopes deserved her title. Just look at the curves. (whistle~) The elegance, the bikini, the size, the…

Kel : Yeah! Yeah! Whatever. As long as my mother is more beautiful than your mother. It is all that matters.

Shah : Duh…are you insane? If your mother is more beautiful, then why did my father marry my mother and not yours? [To argue]

Kay : Stop it… Here you are, sir. For your information, my parents are more attractive than your parents!

Tiong : No, no, no… My parents are more attractive, okay? So do not get jealous.

Kel : Hey, what’s up with you two? Do not interfere our conversation!

Shah : Yeah, it’s just between me and him. (Points to Kel)

Tiong : You want to know something? My mother was the Mrs Sibu for three years in a row!

Kel : Humph! Perhaps your mother won because she was the only contestant for those three years! [To tease]

Tiong : How dare you! She joined it fair and square!

Kel : It’s so lame to promote your mother as the beauty pageant winner for just a small area. My mother is the second runner-up for last year’s Mrs Sarawak! I repeat, Mrs Sarawak pageant!

Shah : Oh please. My mother was a candidate for the Mrs Earth last year!

Kay : Guys, just stop it, you guys!

Tiong : Humph! My mother will join Mrs Universe this year! Don’t get jealous!

Kay : I said stop!

Shah : My mom too!

Kay : Please stop, all of you.

Kel : My mother does come from a small town, but she will join the brawl too!

Kay : Can you guys please stop quarrelling?! You’re disturbing the customers here! [To stop an argument]

Shah : Oh, OK.

Kay : We should be happy because we still have our mothers on our side! You know what? I’m glad that I’m here!

Kel : Hey, you sound familiar.

Kay : Do I?

Tiong : Yes, the Filipino “Engrish” beauty pageant.

Shah : Major major! Oh please, improve your English! [To advise]

Kay : Okay okay, that’s enough. Enjoy your drinks, guys. Don’t start another debate on it.

Tiong : Aaa… Excuse me? Waiter, I don’t have the drinks. How should I enjoy it?

Kay : GO BACK TO WORK, YOU FOOL! I’m only talking to the customers!

(Tiong runs back to workstation, and the café is as peaceful as before)

- THE END -




After the presentation, we need to choose three members in our class to identify the function of the dialogue that we used. Well, I've learned that in our daily talk, we actually already use many types of functions which we never realized. We used form and function almost the time and we should know that form and function will help us expressing our points or opinions.


Nick's group was announced of the best role play by Madam Ira. This makes me more motivated in future so that we can do our best.

No comments:

Post a Comment