Monday, January 16, 2012

REFLECTION WEEK 3 (PRONUNCIATION/MIME/TONGUE TWISTERS)



PRONUNCIATION

The first lesson of Week 3 is about pronunciation. This week we learn about phonology which is the study of sounds made by human when they talk. Phonemes are the smallest unit of sound in a language which carries distinctive meaning. We identified several speech organs in producing every sound we make every day.

I found it is quite difficult for me to pronounce the correct pronunciation for each alphabet. At first, we listened to the interactive pronunciation chart provided by Madam Ira. From that chart, we followed after the sound produced by the interactive pronunciation chart. It is quite interesting to learn about pronunciation. I hope that I can master the correct pronunciation for each sound of the alphabet so that it would be easier for me to teach my students in future.

I love to learn pronunciation for it really teaches me the correct way of saying some words. After I know the correct pronunciation of some of the alphabet, I realized that I made many mistakes in pronouncing some words. Again, I learned something new and valuable. I really like the session when the computer software produce the sound. It sounds funny but we must pronounce the alphabet according to the sound made. We all enjoyed the moment. Some of us really put on effort in pronouncing the correct pronunciation which makes me realized that any slight mistakes made in pronouncing the word, it may run a little bit from its meaning.

More info, access

1. English Pronunciation/Speaking.

2. Interactive Phonetic chart for English Pronunciation







MIME: THE DUEL


The second task in the coursework is to design a short mime which represents the non-verbal communication. The mime must either taped or directly in front of the classroom. However, everyone decided to tape the mime into video which will be added up with music and animation.

So, each group had discussed on their topic. We had chosen a topic which we think it is funny where the situation involved two men that were fighting against one another for two women. Each everyone of us given a character where I am as a judge in the battle, Tiong and Shahrol are the one who battle for the women and Khairul as the cameraman as well as a massager. You should watch the video rather than I summarize it here. The film making took about 3 hours to finish the recording parts and it took about 3 hours to complete it in a video.

So, in the second period of the week, we watched the mime prepared by each group. All the mime was funny and attractive. I enjoyed watching all the mime. It is so amazing and I can see that the entire group trying their best in order produced a good mime.

The following is the video of our short mime.





I think everyone should watch this video because of the idea of this mime. In this mime, the people are always trying to compete on something so that they will be number one. But, there will always be one winner and the other will be losing. It motivates me on keep on trying to be a better person in future as well accepted any results in my life because life is just like a wheel, sometimes you are on the top and somehow you at the bottom side.

I love to do some short video. This type of activity helps us, especially me, so that I can be able to cooperate more with my group members. And this will strengthen the bonds between us as group members.



TONGUE TWISTERS


The third task in the assignment is tongue twisters. We need to find two tongue twisters and presents it in class. The aim of the task is that to promote and helps us as pronunciation drills. This drill will help us to pronounce the word correctly without mistakes. So, each group already choose their own tongue twisters and checked among each other so that there will be no groups with the same tongue twisters.

Our tongue twisters are:

If you can't can any candy can,

how many candy cans can a candy canner can,

if he can candy cans?

And

A big black bug bit a big black dog on his big black nose!


I found out that these tongue twisters are very hard, especially when we say it in a faster way. Sometimes you can say it wrongly, and it is terrible if you say it wrongly. Besides, we need to say it in a correct intonation so others can understand on the meaning of the tongue twisters. I, myself still need more practice to speak good English. So, I need to practice more on tongue twisters so that I will be able to master good pronunciation in English.

Tongue twisters really help me especially to speak in the correct pronunciation. I admit that before this I would always not interested in tongue twisters because I found it is hard to pronounce it correctly and meaningfully. But now, I would love to read more on tongue twisters so that I can improve my pronunciation in English.

Anyway, we also learned about pronunciation again after the tongue twisters. I think this week was an enjoyable week for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment